The European Commission is working to present a climate long-term strategy (LTS), presenting pathways on how to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. The LTS will be presented on 28 November, the week before the climate Conference of the Parties (COP24) starts in Katowice (Poland).
During the last year, T&E has been researching pathways on how to decarbonise different transport sectors. In June 2017 we published analysis on how to decarbonise land freight, and in October 2018 regarding aviation. In the upcoming weeks we will publish research for shipping and passenger cars.
During this launch event, we will present a synthesis report summarising our findings for all transport modes. It will show that decarbonising transport is needed and possible. It will also highlight the interactions with other economic sectors.
The launch of the report will be followed by two panels: a technical one looking at different transport decarbonisation transport modelling exercises; and a political one, where ongoing and upcoming legislative files to decarbonise transport will be discussed, with one representative from each European Institution: the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union .
The event will be closed by Mauro Petriccione, Director General for Climate Action in the European Commission.
- 9:00 - 9:15 Registration and welcome coffee
- 9:15 -9:30 Opening remarks by William Todts, Executive Director, Transport & Environment
- 9:30 - 10:00 Presentation of the study on how to decarbonise all EU transport, by Carlos Calvo Ambel, Manager for Analysis and Climate, Transport & Environment
- 10:00 - 10:45 Technical discussion panel on transport decarbonisation
- Cambridge Econometrics: Jon Stenning, Associated Director
- Agora Energiewende: Urs Maier, Senior Associate Freight Transport
- Climact: Jérôme Meeseen, Senior Consultant
- 10:45 - 11:00 Q&A
- 11:00 - 11:30 Coffee break
- 11:30 - 12:45 Political discussion panel about the long-term strategy and transport decarbonisation
- European Parliament: MEP Miriam Dalli, S&D coordinator in the ENVI committee
- Council of the European Union: Ambassador Cosmin Boiangiu, Deputy Permanent Representative of Romania to the European Union
- European Commission: Artur Runge-Metzger, Director for Climate Strategy, Governance and Emissions from Non-Trading Sectors, DG Clima.
- 12:45 - 13:00 Concluding remarks. Mauro Petriccione, Director General, Climate Action, European Commission