The following measures must be taken over the course of the coming years if a sustainable goods transport system is to be attained:
- Introduce a fair and efficient pricing system for all transport users, and particularly a kilometre charge for road haulage
- Implement liberalisation in rail freight transport by guaranteeing non-discriminatory access to rail infrastructure
- Create an interoperable rail network
- Develop rail freight services into a reliable, customer-oriented alternative to road haulage
- Promote infrastructure projects for environmentally less damaging transport modes as well as projects which serve intermodality and interoperability
- Consistently apply integrated assessment methods to evaluate the economic, environmental and social conse- quences of proposed infrastructure projects, before they are started
- Improve and harmonise social, environmental and safety regulations across the different transport modes to encourage a level playing field between transport modes; as well as to protect transport users, broader society and the environment.