Role of transport in the Energy Union draft
This paper is a six-point reaction to transport-specific elements of a draft Energy Union Communication from 30 January 2015.
1. Decarbonisation and electrification: good, but more holistic approach would be better
2. Commitment to CO2 standards, including for heavy goods vehicles: welcome
3. Aviation and shipping: need targets and measures
4. No subsidies for gas in transport
5. Energy subsidies: commitment welcome but specifics needed
6. Research: redirect transport research resources from aviation to surface transport