ENVI committee MEPs should vote NO to the proposed deal for these reasons:
- It extends what was supposed to be an one-year only interim deal for four more years
- Regulating intra EU flights only is environmentally ineffective
- Only 25% of emissions are covered
- Airspace ensures foreign carriers also start to bear their fair share of the burden
- There is time for a better deal: the Commission state no enforcement is required until legislation is finally agreed
- ENVI voted overwhelmingly on 30 January (49 in favour; 6 against) for Airspace
- Do not cave in to international threats from Russia, China and the US.
Stop-the-Clock until 2016 takes all pressure off ICAO to come up with a global deal. There are already warning signs: none of Brazil, Russia, India or China who oppose ETS attended the first technical meeting in Washington last week. Airspace exercises EU sovereignty. Agreeing to further Stop-The-Clock rejects EU sovereignty. Saying no to the trilogue deal shows that Parliament‘s position matters.