Having left the EU, the UK now has the opportunity to implement policies that accelerate the shift to sustainable transport faster than current EU rules and provide an exemplar for what is possible. T&E UK works to secure ambitious UK transport policies and become the California of Europe.
Recent T&E UK successes which the EU is yet to match include: advocating to end the sales to new cars and vans sales with engines by 2035 and trucks between 2035 and 2040. We also worked to secure inclusion of aviation and shipping emissions in carbon budgets. T&E UK also works to ensure new progressive EU regulations are matched by the UK.
The UK office is currently focused on 5 areas of work:
- Securing an effective delivery plan for the phase out of vehicles with engines including: an ambitious zero emissions vehicles sales mandate on manufacturers and world class charging network
- Establishing a long-term sustainable system of vehicle taxation and which both incentivises the shift to electric vehicles through the tax system; and, fairly prices all forms of motoring through the introduction of road pricing.
- Developing a plan for the rollout of electric trucks to replace diesel
- To end the use of fossil fuels in UK aviation and shipping by 2050; and in domestic uses by 2040. Putting aviation on a net-zero compatible pathway including increasing taxes and use of Sustainable Aviation Fuels
- A shift from the use of biofuels in vehicles to renewable fuels in aviation and shipping – particularly zero emission aircraft and e-kerosene; and electric, hydrogen and ammonia powered shipping.