We are looking for a UK Sustainable Shipping Officer/Manager, with a focus on sustainable fuels.
The role focuses on decarbonising UK shipping through driving the market for sustainable fuels. But you will also contribute to work behind the scenes to make the London based International Maritime Organisation (IMO) more progressive. Areas of work will include the use of hydrogen and synthetic fuels to support the decarbonization of shipping; restricting use of biofuels to genuinely sustainable feedstocks and campaigning against the use of fossil gas as a wrong option, not transitional energy. You will join our UK team based in Westminster and be managed by our UK Director whilst closely working with our shipping team in Brussels.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport think tank and campaign group. We combine the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy. With one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the NGO community, we commit to the professional development of our colleagues and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: colleagues in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid, Paris and London collaborate with our 63 member and supporter groups to achieve our mission.
The role will involve:
- Leading T&E’s shipping advocacy work in the UK focusing on driving the shift to sustainable shipping fuels through reform of the: Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation, UK Monitoring, Reporting and Verification Regulation, UK ETS, etc.
- Establishing working relationships with UK government representatives who are working on T&E priority files for shipping
- Representing T&E in informal discussions, in close coordination with T&E’s shipping team in Brussels, at the London-based International Maritime Organisation
- Identifying, commissioning and delivering impactful research tailored to the needs of UK-related shipping campaign in the UK
- Building formal and informal coalitions with key industry players in shipping and energy such as hydrogen and e-fuels producers but also shipowners, cargo owner or ports;
- Coordinating activities with other environmental and civil society organisations
- Responding to and generating media interest in sustainable shipping policies and opportunities.
The policy officer/manager will be expected to work independently in the UK but under the guidance of T&E’s UK director, and in coordination with the Shipping director, aiming to achieve T&E’s overall objectives.
T&E is ideally seeking a candidate that has previously worked in an environmental role influencing shipping policy. However, we will also consider applicants with:
- More than three years of relevant experience in energy topics including sustainable transport fuels and the ability and motivation to learn about the shipping sector
- Have the aptitude and communication skills to advocate for an environmental organisation
- The confidence to think and act with initiative, to engage and influence policy-makers of different stripes, industry representatives and other stakeholders at the highest level
- Project management, strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
T&E offers an indefinite contract. This is a full time position based in London. A flexible working hours arrangement can be discussed.
To apply, please complete an application form and send a copy of your CV in English [compiled in a SINGLE document] to email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state: “Sustainable Shipping Officer / Manager, UK”.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 6th of March 2022. First Round interviews are scheduled to be held soon after the application deadline. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted. This is a readvertisment – previous candidates for the role will not be reconsidered.