We secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the world’s biggest carbon market for aviation – just to name a few. Transport & Environment (T&E) is currently seeking a highly motivated and proactive individual in the area of transport energy. This is a role based in T&E’s Trends and Analysis team with a specific focus on shaping climate and energy policies in the EU.
T&E is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. Our vision is a zero-emission mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health, climate and environment. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 member and supporter groups to clean up transport.
Who are we looking for?
The position requires a person with strong analytical and research skills, and the ability to think strategically. Communicating complex issues in a way that is both accessible and impactful is key for our advocacy. This role will require being politically savvy as well as the ability to develop strong professional networks. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to grasp technical issues related to transport energy (biofuels, electricity, hydrogen, synthetic hydrocarbons), to analyse different policy scenarios (e.g. the European Commission 2050 scenarios) and to translate them into simple and persuasive policy messages.
We offer the chance to help shape policies with huge implications for people and the environment in Europe. The role is based within the Trends & Analysis team but will require you to work with colleagues from the energy, shipping, aviation and vehicle teams. This is a full-time position based in Brussels. A more flexible working schedule can be discussed.
Main functions of the role:
- Being a key part of the Trends & Analysis team, focusing on T&E’s analytical work on transport energy, including oil, gas, biofuels, hydrogen, synthetic fuels, biogas, electricity and all other transport energy sources. In this position you’ll be acting as one of T&E’s key energy experts, being part of the T&A team, working very closely with the energy team and in close collaboration with the aviation, shipping, freight and vehicles teams.
- Analysing and dissecting data as well as complex policy issues from a variety of sources including scientific studies, European Commission reports and models being used to shape EU policy; and using these to develop a detailed understanding of the issues from an environmental, economic and societal perspective.
- Developing briefings and inputting into advocacy and campaign materials based on robust data, evidence and argumentation in order to reduce the climate impact of the transport sector.
- Advocating T&E’s position to policymakers at EU and international level (ICAO, IMO), politicians, business leaders, civil society actors and our international network.
The successful candidate should meet all of the following criteria:
- Proven expertise in and knowledge of the energy system.
- Have strong analytical skills, an ability to quickly grasp technical issues, assess data, and good knowledge of Excel or other modelling tools.
- Relevant professional experience working on technical issues in the environmental or energy sectors, or in a research institution, is highly recommended but we’ll make exceptions for very talented starters.
- Project management experience including strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and an ability to write in English fluently, accurately and concisely. Other European languages are considered a bonus.
- The confidence to think and act with initiative, to engage and influence policymakers of different stripes, industry representatives and other stakeholders at the highest level.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com with the application form (downloadable below), cover letter and CV, all within one document and in the following order: application form, cover letter and CV. Please name the file as follows: Firstname_Lastname_TA_Transport. Also, please ensure the title of the job vacancy is shown in the subject line of your email.
The closing date for applications is 7 November 2021. First-round interviews are scheduled to be held shortly after that deadline in Brussels or over Zoom. A second round of interviews will be held in early December. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible in early 2022.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.