Do you know how environmental policy and politics can transform markets and have knowledge of, or an interest in, shipping and sustainable fuels? If you do this may well be the job for you. We are looking for a sustainable shipping analyst. This is a role based in T&E’s Brussels office with a specific focus on shaping shipping policies in the EU and globally.
The position requires a person with strong analytical and research skills, and the ability to think strategically. Communicating complex issues in a way that is both accessible and impactful is key for our advocacy. This role will require a level of political savviness, as well as the ability to develop strong professional networks in the analytical/technical community. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to develop technical issues related to transport fuels (biofuels, hydrogen, synthetic hydrocarbons, but also electricity), to analyse different policy scenarios for shipping and to translate them into simple and persuasive policy messages.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport think tank and campaign group. We combine the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy. With one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the NGO community, we commit to the professional development of our colleagues and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: colleagues in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid, Paris, London and Warsaw collaborate with our 63 member and supporter groups to achieve our mission.
Maritime transport (that is, goods carried by ship) is responsible for about 3% of global greenhouse gas emissions. The shipping team at T&E analyses the climate and environmental impact of maritime transport and works to develop policies at the EU and international level to clean the sector up. To do so, we consider the latest engine and ship technologies, economic and market drivers, trade, and sustainable fuels.
The role will involve:
- Being a key part of the T&E’s Shipping and Trends & Analysis teams, focusing on our analytical work on shipping regulation, including emissions modelling, energy efficiency, alternative energy, such as hydrogen, synthetic fuels, electricity.
- Analysing and dissecting data as well as complex policy issues from a variety of sources including scientific studies, European Commission reports and models (including T&E’s own models) being used to shape EU and IMO policies; and using these to develop a detailed understanding of the issues from an environmental, economic and societal perspective.
- Developing briefings and inputting into advocacy and campaign materials based on robust data, evidence and argumentation in order to reduce the climate impact of the transport sector.
- Presenting T&E’s technical analyses to policymakers at EU and IMO, politicians, business leaders, civil society actors and our international network.
The successful candidate should ideally meet all of the following criteria:
- Strong analytical skills, an ability to quickly grasp technical issues, assess data, and advanced knowledge of Excel and python or other modelling tools.
- Strong aptitude in and knowledge of transport modelling, shipping technologies, or technical analysis.
- Relevant professional experience working on technical issues in the environmental or energy sectors, or in a research institution, is highly recommended but we’ll make exceptions for very talented starters.
- Project management experience including strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and an ability to write in English fluently, accurately and concisely. Other European languages are considered a bonus.
- The confidence to think and act with initiative. Ability to engage and influence policymakers of different stripes, industry representatives and other stakeholders at the highest level is a bonus.
T&E offers an indefinite contract. This is a full time position based in Brussels. A flexible working arrangement can be discussed.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the application form (downloadable below), 1-page cover letter and CV, all compiled into a single file and in the following order: application form, cover letter and CV. Please name the file as follows: Firstname_Lastname_shipping_analyst.
Also, please ensure the title of the job vacancy (i.e. “Sustainable shipping analyst”) is shown in the subject line of your email.
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 21st of March 2022. First round interviews are scheduled to be held soon after the application deadline. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible. T&E is an equal opportunities employer and highly encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.