This is a critical time for the UK’s action on climate. The current government needs to deliver on the promises made to achieve net zero ambitions.We need to counter any organised backlash against measures to reduce emissions from cars, shipping and aviation. And at the same time UK politics and policy face rapid changes.
Working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, the communications officer will ensure the successful planning and execution of communications related to T&Es priorities to help our work to end emissions from transport in the UK. The ideal candidate will have a successful record working with UK media, be a persuasive writer, and have experience of developing social media content. They should be an energetic team-player with experience working in a communications and media environment. Some knowledge of transport and environment issues would be a plus.
Above all, we’re looking for an entrepreneurial communications officer, able to spot opportunities and work with the team to find the right channels to get our messages across. This is a new post in T&E UK and the successful candidate will be able to shape the development of our strategy and plans in the UK, and develop new communications channels to get our message across.
Description of duties and responsibilities
Working with the director of the UK office and the Brussels-based communications team, the principal duties and responsibilities of the position will be to:
- Work with the national office, communications and policy teams to create and deliver communications plans related to T&E UK’s priority areas, including drafting press releases, doing general media work and executing launches for key research and reports.
- Help develop and implement a new communications and media strategy for T&E UK.
- Build and manage media relations with media outlets, newswires and correspondents based in UK and occasionally other European countries, including:
- Pitching stories and interviews to print, broadcast and online media: drafting and pitching press releases, articles for publication, Op-Eds, letters to the editor and other media materials.
- Executing media outreach strategies to automotive, shipping, aviation, energy and environment trade publications as well as top mainstream national and regional media.
- Monitor the UK media, identifying key trends and opportunities for T&E.
- In coordination with the Brussels-based digital communications manager, develop and keepupdated relevant UK sections of the T&E website and create social media content based on our campaigns, key reports and infographics.
- Develop social media channel(s), including assets to use in our online advocacy and campaigns.
- Develop our stakeholder and opinion former outreach, including GDPR compliant approaches to contact management and mailings.
- Organize media briefings and events.
- Liaise and work closely with external agencies e.g. full-service Public Relations companies, digital and video agencies
- Contribute to in-house and donor reporting.
Skills and competences required:
- Strong experience in UK media outreach, preferably with a public relations background, as well as a good understanding of the UK media market and the requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, newswire, TV, radio, and web.
- Well organized and able to deal with a wide variety of media inquiries.
- Strong and fast writing skills, with an ability to translate technical reports into media friendly communications materials.
- Strong social media experience in a professional context.
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritization skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Experience working in communications, journalism, or a related field.
The position is full-time, based in London, with the possibility of flexible working hours. T&E will offer you a salary between £35.000-£43.000 per annum in line with your experience and expertise. The position offers the opportunity to grow professionally and build a rewarding career at T&E.
Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of humankind’s greatest challenges.
Deadline for applications: 20 March 2023
A more flexible working schedule can be discussed. T&E is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please complete the application form (downloadable below) and send it together with a copy of your CV and a one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state “Media and Communications Officer (UK)”.
The closing date for applications is 20 March 2023. First-round interviews are likely to be held the following weekby videoconference. A second round of interviews will follow shortly after. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s independent expert in enabling clean transport for all. Our vision is a zero emissions mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30 years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world’s largest carbon market for aviation, to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations. All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.
T&E UK is the UK arm of Transport & Environment. The UK office was set up in 2019 and is based on the south bank in London, across from Westminster and Whitehall. We work to end greenhouse gas emissions from transport in the UK, covering road transport, shipping and aviation. We are a growing team and work closely with partners in the transport and environment sectors and supporting policy makers with evidence-based solutions to decarbonise transport in the UK.