Transport & Environment (T&E) is seeking a highly motivated and proactive economist, preferably with experience in the transport/cars sector.
The role will focus on understanding and shaping European and national policies to support clean mobility. This includes among others the analysis of private and public investments in the automotive sector and beyond with the aim to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles and clean vehicle supply chains.
Who are we looking for?
This position is the right fit for someone who wants to become our T&E expert in the economics of electric vehicles and their supply chain. The right candidate should have a clear interest and ideally experience in market research (e.g. of vehicle and battery markets) as well as the analytical skills to dissect transport investments, both private and public (including state aid).
The selected candidate will develop a strategy to engage with and influence the automotive investor community ensuring the capital flows to scale up both electric vehicles and their value chain. This will among others be done by researching and analysing the economic and financial issues related to investments into both electric vehicles and their value chains. And translating this into reports and other communication materials for targeted advocacy work.
For this role we look for someone who wants to be the internal and external expert on an issue and who is interested in developing new streams of work, supported by the rest of the team.
We offer the chance to help shape policies with huge implications for people and the environment in Europe. Investments play a critical role in the transition to electric mobility, so the candidate will have a chance to influence and shape a crucial enabler for reaching the climate goals.
Main functions of the role:
- Understanding, analysing and developing recommendations for T&E in the area of automotive investments and public/private support schemes across the supply chains.
- Translating economic and financial analysis into easy communication materials towards different audiences.
- Analysing and dissecting financial trends, data and forecasts from a variety of sources including company and investors reports, public investment programmes and funding support schemes; and using these to develop a detailed understanding of the impacts, trends as well as risks and opportunities in investments in the automotive sector and in the EV value chain.
- Scoping investment gaps and needs in the EU EV value chain, developing solutions to increase private finance in the sector and engaging with the investors community for their uptake.
- Representing T&E in expert groups and conferences to shape European EV investment policies, advising colleagues to shape T&E policy priorities and programme goals in the area of investments in battery and vehicles supply chains.
The successful candidate should meet all of the following criteria:
- Proven professional experience and knowledge of private finance and public investments in the automotive sector, or in the broader transport sector or energy sector.
- Have strong analytical skills, an ability to quickly grasp economic and financial matters, and assess data. A good knowledge of Excel or other modelling tools are a plus.
- Strong writing proficiency with proven experience and ability to write compelling analytical reports for external publication in fluent, concise and accurate English with little supervision.
- Project management experience including strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and an ability to work in English fluently. Other European languages are considered a bonus.
- The confidence to think and act with initiative, to engage and influence policymakers of different stripes, collaborate with industry representatives, NGO networks and other stakeholders.
- A personal commitment to climate, sustainable transport and the aims of T&E.
What we offer
The role is based within the Trends & Analysis team, however it will require close cooperation with the Vehicles Team and with colleagues from other teams across Europe. This is a full-time position based in Brussels. A more flexible working schedule can be discussed.
The gross monthly salary range for this position is EUR 3800-4100 gross/month depending on experience, which is paid 13,92 times.
Next to the salary you would also receive the following benefits:
- Health insurance plan
- Lunch vouchers
- Pension plan
Working from one of our other national offices can be considered, with a comparable salary package.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the application form (downloadable below), cover letter and CV, all within one document and in the following order: application form, cover letter and CV. Please name the file as follows: Firstname_Lastname_economist. Also, please ensure the title of the job vacancy is shown in the subject line of your email.
The closing date for applications is 12 February. First-round interviews are scheduled to be held shortly after that deadline over Zoom. A second round of interviews will be scheduled for the end of February. Ideally the successful candidate can start as soon as possible.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.
Transport & Environment is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. Our vision is a zero-emission mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health, climate and environment. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Warsaw and London collaborate with our over 60 member and supporter groups to clean up the transport sector.
T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. T&E got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks, helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal and helped create the world’s first sustainable battery law – just to name a few.