Communications Officer, Clean Cities Campaign
Salary range: Competitive salary, dependent on experience and location
Location: London or Brussels
Are you concerned about the impacts of climate change and air pollution? Do you want to use your communication skills to compel decision-makers to take action? We are building a transformational campaign to help drive down emissions and pollution from transport in European cities, and we’re looking for a Communications Officer to help us get the message out in the media and across our digital platforms.
About the Clean Cities Campaign
Cities are where the negative impacts of traffic and congestion are most obvious. Air pollution, mostly from diesel vehicles, is a public health emergency and responsible for around 300,000 early deaths across Europe each year. The road transport sector is one of the biggest sources of greenhouse gas emissions driving up dangerous global heating.
As a network, we deliver powerful campaigns and research to urge cities to phase out petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030, and prioritise active, shared and electric mobility. In particular, we want to see an increase in the number of low- and zero-emission zones, low traffic zones, and we want to see School Streets created across the continent. The campaign is hosted by Transport & Environment, Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group.
Summary of the role
We are looking for a Communications Officer to join the campaign’s core Communications team (0.8 FTE or 4 days/week) to help design and implement our media and digital strategies, helping to grow the campaign’s reach and impact through our owned channels, those of our network, and external media. The appointed person will report to the Digital Engagement Manager.
The ideal candidate would be a versatile, all-round communicator, with a knack for finding creative and compelling ways to communicate across multiple platforms and solid project management skills.
Your tasks will include:
Take the lead on:
- Undertaking a weekly monitoring of the media debate across the campaign’s target cities and compiling a press review for our core team and network
- Producing & keeping up to date a content calendar
- Producing engaging, multimedia content for the Clean Cities Facebook, Twitter & Instagram accounts
- Day-to-day management of notifications and comments of the Clean Cities Facebook, Twitter & Instagram accounts
- Pitching and producing blogs for the Clean Cities website
- Publishing content on the Clean Cities website (WordPress/Elementor)
- Working with external providers (especially graphic designers and video editors) to produce some of our content
- Compiling quarterly and annual earned media and digital analytics reports for donors & our own monitoring
- Compiling and maintaining a database of relevant journalists for the campaign, in collaboration with the Communications & Media Manager and team of National Local Coordinators
- Feeding into the development of/updates to the Communications and Digital Engagement Strategies for the campaign
- Monitoring and maintain our lists of email subscribers
- Writing, building and monitoring email marketing campaigns
- Building petitions and other digital actions (e.g. Twitter Storms)
- 3 years experience in media, PR and/or digital communications
- Excellent written and verbal English
- Good working proficiency in a second European language would be an advantage (particularly French, Spanish, Italian or Polish)
- Strong team player who takes initiative and is able to work independently within a remote team
- Excellent administrative, organisational and time-management skills;
- Strong social media skills & experience developing campaign concepts and producing content (e.g. graphics, infographics, videos)
- Experience using Content Management Systems (our website is built on WordPress/Elementor)
- Some experience using the Adobe Creative Suite (especially Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign) is required
- Strong copy editing skills and the ability to quickly turn around compelling content across multiple channels and platforms
- Experience using a Customer Relationship Management Platform (CRM)
- Graphic design and video editing skills
- Understanding of analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics)
- Experience with using media monitoring tools (e.g. Meltwater)
The Clean Cities Campaign, hosted by Transport & Environment, is a European coalition of over 70 grassroots and civil society organisations aiming to hasten the phase out of the internal combustion engine in European cities, while championing active, shared and electric mobility for a more liveable and sustainable urban future. The vision of the coalition is to create zero emission urban mobility systems by 2030.
We are committed to the professional development of our colleagues and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: colleagues in Belgium, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, the UK, Poland and beyond collaborate with our partner organisations to achieve our mission.
This is a 0.8 FTE position initially for 12 months (with possibility for renewal).
A flexible working schedule can be discussed. This is a working-from-home role based in London or Brussels, with regular travel required in Europe.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and a short motivation letter (1 page max) to email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state: Application for Communications Officer, Clean Cities Campaign.
The closing date for applications is 5 March 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. First round interviews will be held by video conference. Starting date is negotiable, but the successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
T&E/Clean Cities Campaign anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted. T&E is an equal opportunities employer, we value diversity in applications for this position.