Who we are looking for
Transport & Environment (T&E), the leading Brussels-based NGO promoting cleaner transport in Europe, is offering a data analyst position for a period of one year (with possibility to extend), ideally starting in May 2023.
The position requires a person with strong analytical and research skills, and the ability to think strategically. Communicating complex issues in a way that is both accessible and impactful is key for our advocacy.
The successful candidate will be working with T&E’s Trends and Analysis team, using and developing modelling tools of national and European emissions trajectories, making quantitative analysis of the climate impact of measures included in the National Energy and Climate Plans and of decarbonisation pathways for transport. They will demonstrate the ability to analyse different policy scenarios (e.g. the European Commission 2050 scenarios) and understand technical issues and technological assumptions underlying decarbonisation, with a special focus on transport.
Candidates with an engineering or economics background are strongly encouraged to apply, though anyone with relevant skills and interest will be considered, including candidates with small or without any previous experience (0 to 2 years).
Main functions of the role:
- Being a key part of the Trends & Analysis team, focusing on T&E’s analytical work on historical emissions and emissions projections of the EU and its member countries, assessment of long-term policy scenarios and climate target settings, assessment of national plans to decarbonise transport. In this role you will work very closely with the climate team, but also with colleagues from T&E national offices and occasionally with the other T&E teams (energy, vehicles, aviation and shipping).
- Analysing and dissecting data as well as complex policy issues from a variety of sources including scientific studies, European Commission reports and models (also developed by third parties) being used to shape EU policy; and using these to develop a detailed understanding of the issues from an environmental, economic and societal perspective.
- Contribute to develop briefings and inputting into advocacy and campaign materials based on robust data, evidence and argumentation in order to reduce the climate impact of the transport sector.
The successful candidate should meet all of the following criteria:
- Have strong analytical skills, an ability to quickly grasp technical issues, assess data, and good knowledge of Excel or other modelling tools.
- Relevant professional experience working on the technical issues related to decarbonisation of transport and the transition to a carbon neutral economy. Previous experience working in this field is a plus, but talented starters with strong knowledge, interest and motivation are encouraged to apply.
- Strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and an ability to write in English fluently, accurately and concisely. Other European languages are considered a bonus.
What do we offer
We offer the chance to help shape policies with huge implications for people and the environment in Europe. The role is based within the Trends & Analysis team but will require you to work with colleagues from the climate team and our national offices (especially in Rome, Madrid and Paris).
This is a full-time position based in Brussel running from early May 2023, although the dates are subject to discussion. A more flexible working schedule can also be discussed. T&E is an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is midnight 26th of March, and interviews will take place in person in Brussel or online (zoom) on the week of 3rd of April.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com with the application form (downloadable below), cover letter and CV, all within one document and in the following order: application form, cover letter and CV.
Please name the file as follows: Firstname_Lastname_TA_climate. Also, please ensure the title of the job vacancy is shown in the subject line of your email.
The cover letter, of one page maximum, and completed application form should explain the motivation and commitment to work with Transport & Environment’s aims, and also highlight examples from your previous work or studies that show us that you have the skills and competencies outlined above.
Transport & Environment offers great flexibility in work schedule and modality. However, preference will be given to candidates able to come work regularly on site in Brussels.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted. Only applicants with the existing right to work within the EU will be considered.