Are you interested in campaigning with us to accelerate the transition to zero emissions transport in cities across Europe? We are looking to hire an experienced campaigner to help build a robust network of health, environmental and grassroots organisations dedicated to making UK cities cleaner, quieter and more liveable. As UK Campaigner you will mobilise usual and unusual groups/allies on the ground in Greater Manchester, as well as commision research and coordinate activities, with the support of the UK Head of Campaigns.
Summary of the role
The UK Campaigner will develop, implement and lead a campaign plan for the Clean Cities Campaign’s project in Greater Manchester. They will contribute to the overarching campaign goal of getting European cities to phase-out the internal combustion engine by 2030. The Campaigner is responsible for working collaboratively with local groups to help realise the vision for the project and to deliver on the campaign’s objectives. The Campaigner will also amplify and curate a vibrant community and help organisations and citizens to remain aligned in their activities and messaging. The Campaigner will lead the detailed planning of outputs.
Your tasks will include:
- Supporting the UK Head of Campaigns, as well as collaborating with colleagues in the Clean Cities Campaign Core Team and our host charity T&E, as well as consultants, partners and allies to deliver on the campaign’s objectives.
- Becoming fluent in and helping to develop strategies and tactics for the UK campaign and develop an approach for advancing these in Greater Manchester.
- Making use of a variety of tactics and tools to build public support, political pressure, and momentum for change in line with the campaign’s objectives.
- Building and/or supporting and amplifying a Clean Cities Campaign coalition in Greater Manchester, that is active around air pollution and mobility by fostering key relationships with relevant policymakers, other charities, unusual partners (e.g. parents associations) and other allies at a city level.
- Acting as the first point of contact in Greater Manchester for the Clean Cities Campaign and making sure the organisations in the coalition all deliver in accordance with agreements and they play to their strengths – together adding up to a meaningful and impactful campaign effort.
- Commissioning and coordinating research and analysis in support of the campaign’s strategic strands.
- Communicating skillfully with government officials, elected officials and other policymakers and their staff to support the campaign.
- Serving as campaign spokesperson in Greater Manchester and representing the Clean Cities Campaign at meetings, conferences, and events.
- Contributing to and/or producing a variety of external communication materials, including blogs, articles, speeches, and social media posts, in close collaboration with communications staff and the UK Head of Campaigns.
The successful candidate should have the following skills and experience:
- A minimum of 2-3 years experience in project coordination, campaigning and/or environmental advocacy. You have an enthusiasm and passion for campaigning and for sustainable mobility, and ability to infect others with it.
- A proven ability to cultivate contacts and build lasting alliances leading to tangible results. Great networking skills are a must.
- Passion for working with a small, international and multicultural team
- Self-awareness, confidence and creativity with a willingness to try new things and innovate while maintaining our core work.
- Committed to the values of equity, authentic communication and collaboration
- You know the political and environmental NGO/grassroots landscape in the UK and ideally in Greater Manchester, and are well aware of mobility and air pollution problems and potential solutions.
- You are a native speaker of English. Other European language skills are desirable given the scope of the Clean Cities Campaign is international.
- You are knowledgeable in dealing with group dynamics.
- You are a team player and have leadership skills.
- You are an excellent communicator.
- You have a good eye for detail.
- You are flexible and ready to work in the evening when necessary (ex. meetings with grassroots movements).
- You are willing to travel for work purposes.
The Clean Cities Campaign, hosted by Transport & Environment, is a European coalition of over 70 grassroots and civil society organisations aiming to hasten the phase out of the internal combustion engine in European cities, while championing active, shared and electric mobility for a more liveable and sustainable urban future. The vision of the coalition is to create zero emission urban mobility systems by 2030.
We are committed to the professional development of our colleagues and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: colleagues in Belgium, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, the UK and beyond collaborate with our partner organisations to achieve our mission.
This is a full time or 0.8 FTE position. A flexible working schedule can be discussed. This is a work at home role for someone living in or within easy reach of Greater Manchester with regular travel required within the UK and some in Europe.
To apply, please complete an application form and send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state: Application for UK Campaigner, Clean Cities Campaign.
The closing date for applications is 3 October 2022. First Round interviews are scheduled to be held on the week commencing 10 October 2022 by video conference. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
T&E/Clean Cities Campaign anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted. T&E is an equal opportunities employer, we value diversity in applications for this position.