Do you want to shape laws in Brussels that clean up Europe’s polluting fleets? T&E is looking for a climate campaigner on transport who can help us win new limits on emissions and air pollution. We work on all modes, including cars, trucks, aviation and shipping. Your first campaign? Cleaning up trucks and buses!
Making up only 2% of the fleet, people don’t immediately think of trucks as a climate threat. But these vehicles are responsible for over a quarter of Europe’s road transport emissions, and their pollution is still on the rise. Over the next year, T&E wants the EU to set an end-date for diesel trucks into law, putting the sector on track for 100% zero-emissions by 2050. As our campaigner, you would craft the messages, alliances and digital material to help make this happen. Are you up for the challenge?
What would you do?
We are looking for someone who can design and roll-out a campaign to accelerate the transition to zero emission trucks. Together with our policy staff and a network of civil society groups across Europe, your aim will be to strengthen belief that electric trucks are both already a reality today, as well as the industry’s future. The ideal candidate is someone who understands how strong messages, based on cutting edge evidence produced by the team, can help influence the public and political debate to bring about change. We are looking for someone who can identify opportunities and channels to create and place compelling content and maximise the reach of our messaging. We are also looking for someone who can work together with the team on identifying the next big thing for accelerating the transition to zero-emission trucks, and to roll out a campaign on that as the campaign for the phase-out of diesel trucks progresses.
As well as your communication, interpersonal skills and diplomacy, this role will test your ability to organise and improvise. Feeling comfortable using different (digital) tools, and using them to change the perception on a topic will be a great asset.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and coordinate the campaign tactics used by T&E’s clean trucks team to help win the advocacy work. Support will be available on the implementation side from the team, T&E’s communications lead and, when needed, from freelancers or external agencies.
- Work with the clean trucks team’s advocacy leads during the legislative process to flesh out the best arguments and data, and decide how to translate that into convincing communication materials. Weigh in on who to team up with in terms of stakeholders and help make that public.
- Develop and coordinate the digital engagement strategy around zero emission trucks and lead on the implementation of this work.
- Develop and/or coordinate the creation of new content for videos that educate the public and policymakers. Videos can be both simple content to illustrate T&E studies and filmed content of various stakeholders involved in the topic of clean trucks.
- Produce and/or coordinate convincing and engaging sharable content for social media, the website and other channels. This could be petitions, polling, videos, designing creative and inspiring visual content (macros, infographics), events, etc.
- Develop and coordinate with our European campaign network to create and push our campaign content as required.
- Scope and evaluate the potential to launch a public campaign to accelerate the adoption of zero emission trucks in big companies. The selected candidate would assess the different options and identify what are the best angles and narratives which would maximise our chances of securing interest.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills:
- Track record of developing creative (digital) campaign content that triggers public engagement and deepens relationships with existing supporters
- Strong project planning skills to enable the delivery of projects to time, to budget and to deliver on clear objectives with the ability of balancing multiple priorities
- Excellent (visual) communication skills and experience with message testing and audience targeting
- Willingness to try new things and innovate whilst maintaining core work
This is a full time or 4/5 position based in Brussels starting as soon as possible. A flexible working schedule can be discussed. T&E has a flexible working from home policy.
To apply, please send a cover letter and copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state Application for Climate Transport Campaigner.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
T&E is an equal opportunities employer, we value diversity in applications for this position.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. We combine the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy. With one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the NGO community, we commit to the professional development of our colleagues and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: colleagues in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid, Paris,Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 member and supporter groups to achieve our mission.