If you do this may well be the job for you. We are looking for a UK Sustainable Energy, Fuels and Shipping Officer / Manager.
The role focuses on decarbonising the UK shipping industry via domestic regulations and contributing to our work around making the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) more progessive. The work will focus on promoting zero carbon fuels like green hydrogen, and campaigning against biofuels and fossil gas as inappropriate fuel types for the future. You will join our UK team based in Westminster, and be managed by our UK Director whilst working closely with our shipping team in Brussels.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport think tank and campaign group. We combine the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy. T&E will commit to your professional development and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: in addition to the London office we have offices in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and Paris.
The role will involve:
- Leading T&E’s shipping advocacy work in the UK, focusing on driving the shift to sustainable shipping fuels through policy reform of, amongst others: the Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation, UK Monitoring, Reporting and Verification Regulations, UK Emissions Trading Scheme, etc.
- Establishing working relationships with UK government representatives who are working on decarbonising shipping, notably the newly created UK SHORE.
- Participate in formal and informal discussions, under the guidance of T&E’s shipping team in Brussels, at the London-based International Maritime Organisation
- Identifying, commissioning and delivering impactful research tailored to the needs of UK-related shipping campaign in the UK
- Building formal and informal coalitions with key industry players in the hydrogen-based fuels industry
- Building formal and informal coalitions with key industry players in the shipping industry, such as shipowners, cargo owner or ports
- Coordinating activities with other environmental and civil society organisations
- Responding to and generating media interest in sustainable shipping policies and opportunities.
The successful candidate will be expected to work independently in the UK, but under the guidance of T&E’s UK Director, and in coordination with the Shipping Director, aiming to achieve T&E’s overall objectives. The successful candidate will also work with T&E’s aviation and energy teams.
T&E is ideally seeking a candidate that has previously worked in an environmental role influencing transport and / or fuels policy. However, we will also consider applicants with:
- More than three years of relevant experience in energy topics and the ability and motivation to learn about the shipping sector
- Have the aptitude and communication skills to advocate for an environmental organisation
- The confidence to think and act with initiative, to engage and influence policy-makers of different stripes, industry representatives and other stakeholders at the highest level
- Project management, strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
The role is based at our physical office in London, with some home-working expected. Candidates must be prepared to travel to London for 1-3 days a week. A flexible working hours arrangement can be implemented. Occasional travel to the Brussels office is expected.
To apply, please complete an application form and send a copy of your CV in English [compiled in a SINGLE document] to email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state: “Sustainable Energy and Shipping Policy Officer / Manager, UK”.
The deadline for this role is the 1th of May.
First Round interviews will be held on an ongoing basis, so early application is to be encouraged. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.