Transport & Environment has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws through our ability to communicate our message and make a persuasive case for change. In Brussels, Berlin and other European capitals this has been critical to our success. We’re looking to hire a highly motivated media and communications professional to join our German national office and help us to achieve even greater change in the future.
Working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, the communications officer will ensure the successful planning and execution of communications related to T&Es priorities. The ideal candidate will have a successful record working with German media, be a persuasive writer, and have experience of developing social media content. They are an energetic team-player with 2 – 5 years experience working in a communications and media environment. Some knowledge of transport and environment issues would be a plus.
Working with the director of the German office and the Brussels-based communications team, principal duties and responsibilities of the position will involve:
- Working with the national office, communications and policy teams to create and deliver communications plans related to T&E Germany’s priority areas, including drafting press releases, doing general media work and executing launches for key research and reports.
- Help develop and implement the communications and media strategy for T&E Germany.
- Build and manage media relations with media outlets, newswires and correspondents based in Germany and occasionally other European countries, including:
- Pitching stories and interviews to print, broadcast and online media: drafting and pitching press releases, articles for publication, Op-Eds, letters to the editor and other media materials.
- Executing media outreach strategies to automotive, shipping, aviation, energy and environment trade publications as well as top mainstream national and regional media.
- Monitoring the media in Germany, identifying key trends and opportunities for T&E.
- In coordination with the Digital Manager, updating relevant sections of the T&E website and creating social media content based on our campaigns, key reports and infographics.
- Organize media briefings and events.
- Liaise and work closely with external agencies e.g. full-service Public Relations companies, digital and video agencies
- Contribute to in-house and donor reporting.
Skills and competences required:
- Strong experience in German media outreach, preferably with a Public Relations background, as well as a good understanding of the German media market and the requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, newswire, TV, radio, and web.
- Well organized and able to deal with a wide variety of media inquiries.
- Strong and fast writing skills, with an ability to translate technical reports into media friendly communications materials.
- Strong social media experience in a professional context.
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritization skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- 2-5 years of work experience in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Native-level German as well as proficiency in written and spoken English. Where appropriate, language training will be made available to improve proficiency.
The position is full-time, based in Berlin, with the possibility of flexible working hours. T&E will offer you a competitive salary in line with your experience and expertise. We offer exceptional flexibility. The position offers the opportunity to grow professionally and build a rewarding career at T&E.
Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of humankind’s greatest challenges.
Deadline for applications: 28 August, 2022
A more flexible working schedule can be discussed. T&E is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please complete the application form (downloadable below) and send it together with a copy of your CV and a one-page cover letter to email@example.com, clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state “Media and Communications Officer (DE)”.
The closing date for applications is 28 August, 2022. First-round interviews are likely to be held the following weekby videoconference. A second round of interviews will follow shortly after. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s independent expert in enabling clean transport for all. Our vision is a zero emissions mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30 years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world’s largest carbon market for aviation to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations. All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.