Transport & Environment (T&E), the leading Brussels-based NGO promoting cleaner transport in Europe, is seeking an Aviation and Shipping Director to act as a high-level enabler and facilitator, providing strategic leadership in the fields of aviation and shipping and forging and enriching meaningful alliances with key stakeholders. This is a full-time position for the Transport & Environment Brussels office.
Transport & Environment, campaigning for smarter, cleaner transport:
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe's leading clean transport campaign group. Our vision is a zero emissions mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30 years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU to set the world's most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world's largest carbon market for aviation to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations. All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.
Network and coalitions
T&E is a founding member of the International Coalition for Sustainable Aviation (ICSA) which has observer status at the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and equally of the Clean Shipping Coalition (CSC) which has observer status at the International Maritime Organisation (IMO). T&E holds a seat on the board of ECOS, and is a member of the Green 10 group of European environmental NGOs, the Platform for Electromobility, and the Coalition for Energy Savings.
Please visit: www.transportenvironment.org.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in the T&E team. One of four policy directors, he or she will act as a high-level enabler and facilitator, providing strategic leadership in the fields of aviation and shipping and forging and enriching meaningful alliances with key stakeholders. With a strong personal commitment to driving change on climate and air pollution, the new director will empower and motivate staff to achieve their respective policy goals and will act as the T&E representative for aviation and shipping to EU and international decision makers.
Director of Aviation and Shipping, the Transport and Environment, Brussels Office
The Aviation and Shipping Director will report to the Executive Director of the Brussels office and liaise with peer level directors in a senior management team.
The Director of Aviation and Shipping:
1. Represents T&E on matters related to Aviation and Shipping, acting in alignment with the coordinated advocacy strategy:
• With a deep understanding of EU policy and law-making procedures, devises and implements innovative solutions for relevant EU policy areas through impactful policy dialogues and processes with the EU Institutions and international stakeholders;
• Facilitates and engages at high level to further the mission of T&E in close cooperation with T&E partners and in alignment with related advocacy activities;
• Acts as the lead media interface for T&E on matters related to Aviation and Shipping;
• Ensures that T&E is well positioned to influence and take advantage of funding opportunities be they from within the EU or from other sources;
• Plays an active and influential role among environmental NGOs operating in Brussels and beyond, including but not limited to ICSA and CSC (see above for links).
2. Acts as leader for the Aviation and Shipping team:
• Building and implementing the aviation and shipping advocacy and communications plan with a focus on strategically selecting actions that have high impact.
• Acts as principal networker and alliance builder for aviation and shipping, forging sustainable relationships and maintaining close cooperation with established partners.
• Manages the staff, demonstrating top leadership qualities and motivates all staff to perform highly with a heightened awareness of their personal contribution to the greater cause and how to make a difference.
• Demonstrates clear ability to represent T&E interests convincingly, and forge and maintain strategic alliances at high European and international levels as a credible and effective partner;
• Knowledgeable and experienced in political advocacy/policy processes, with experience of engagement with the EU institutions at senior/leadership level;
• Knowledgeable about aviation and shipping with an established reputation in at least one of these fields;
• Ability to understand and deal with complexity of two global industries both at the regional and global regulatory level;
• Ability to get up to speed quickly on a range of technical issues at short-notice and to be able to explain these in lay terms. Knowledge of new low-carbon fuel types is an asset;
• Proven successful track record in creating meaningful coalitions and alliances with other network organisations, and will be familiar with obtaining results in multilevel partnerships;
• Provides overall strategic direction, building on an existing vision/knowledge about sustainability, that inspires and engages externally and internally. Candidate knows how to play the NGO role to create political change, and how to identify and grasp opportunities as they arise;
• Proven ability to represent T&E in media relations and public speaking;
• Enhances T&E credibility and adheres to T&E’s values of political independence and the power of science and evidence in policymaking.
Education and experience:
• Excellent spoken and written English (other European languages such as French are an advantage), an engaging public speaker and a persuasive writer;
• At least 10 years of relevant post-graduate experience and a higher university degree (e.g. Master level);
• An established team leader that nurtures the team;
• Proven ability to understand and deal with business and technical priorities in order to further the environmental mission in a complex policy setting;
• Recognised resilience and drive with a winning and diplomatic style.
How to apply:
This is a full-time position for the Transport & Environment Brussels office. Please send a motivation letter with the application form (downloadable below) and your CV to email@example.com by 27 May 2019, with the mention “T&E” in the ‘Subject’ of the email. Applications will be assessed upon receipt. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
N.B.: This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.