However, what is also emerging is the potential for batteries to work synergistically with the power system, providing a range of services that can increase renewable energy uptake, reduce constraints on networks, and provide security of energy supply. Performance requirements for grid support batteries are lower than those for electric vehicles, which points to grid support being a key second life application for EV batteries.
A joint consortium of Renault, ENEL, Iberdrola and Transport & Environment commissioned Element Energy to understand the impacts and opportunities related to EVs for the electricity system. By evaluating current recycling capabilities and processes, along with associated costs and legislative requirements, and comparing the different end of life options (re-use, recycling, etc.) this study informs on what is appropriate in terms of policy and regulation.
During this event, Element Energy will present this new study, which will be followed by two panel discussions.
To know more about how the Europe can properly integrate batteries on wheels and the power sector, please register to this event organized by Transport & Environment.
- 9:30-10:00 Registration and welcome coffee
- 10:00-10:30 Presentation of Batteries on wheels: the role of battery electric cars in the EU power system and beyond by Celine Cluzel, Director, Element Energy
- 10:30-11:30 First panel: Batteries on wheels during vehicles life - Moderator: Dave Keating
- What is in the EC pipeline? by Manuel Sanchez Jimenez, Team Leader for Smart Grids, DG ENER, European Commission
- The potential of EVs for renewables development by Pilar González, Storage Innovation Manager, Iberdrola
- How to ensure synergies between EVs, grids and renewables by Carlos Calvo Ambel, Trends and Analysis Director, Transport & Environment
- 11:30-12:30 Second panel: Opportunities after 1st life: 2nd life, repurposing and recycling - Moderator: Dave Keating
- Commission’s plans on battery directive review by Jose Rizo-Martin, DG Environment, European Commission
- Innovative uses for 2nd life batteries & recycling, Renault-Nissan
- Second-life batteries integration: the case in Melilla by Maria Giovanna Vertuccio, Energy Storage and New Business Opportunity, Innovation Global Thermal Generation, Enel
- How to unlock potential of battery end of life and circular economy by Julia Poliscanova, Clean Vehicles & Emobility Manager, Transport & Environment
- 12:30-14:00 Light lunch