As T&E UK Director you will further establish T&E as one of the leading groups on transport related policies in the UK. For this you will need to increase the profile of the organisation in the political sphere and media, develop strategies on how to translate these strategies into actual influence and lead a team that will help you achieve this.
Starting from the current solid base, supported by our UK members, network of national offices and Brussels office, we are looking for the person who can bring us to the next level.
Purpose of the Role
The overall aim of the role is to lead T&Es National Office in the UK and to develop and deliver T&E UK’s work programme that is focused on accelerating the shift to zero emission transport solutions. T&E UK advocacy activities are strongly evidence based and focused around the measures needed to deliver the UK Transport Decarbonisation Plan and overall Net Zero targets.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Managing the UK office including operational, financial and HR responsibilities.
- Represent T&E in the UK at the highest political level and in the media.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of UK public policy and the regulatory process, with focus on regulations that deliver the plans such as the UK Transport Decarbonisation Plan and Climate Act budgets.
- Ensure that T&E UK is a key player and recognized expert group on policies and regulations that leads to a shift to zero carbon solutions.
- Develop and deliver T&E UKs national strategy and long term vision on transport decarbonisation aligned with T&Es overarching goals.
- Build and maintain good contact with policy-makers, NGOs, industry, funders, media and other relevant stakeholders; including coalition-building where needed.
- Commission and deliver impactful research (both internally and externally) tailored to the needs of, and contributing to delivering the objectives of, T&E’s advocacy work.
- Draft policy papers (including defining T&E positions), prepare and deliver presentations, organise and participate in public meetings with policy and wider stakeholders, and provide feedback to relevant consultations.
The successful candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Ten years of relevant experience in either transport or advocacy – ideal candidates have both or will convince us they can learn the other skill very quickly.
- A deep understanding of the UK political system and an expert in law and regulations with capacity for political analysis.
- A deep understanding of T&Es focus areas, knowledge about the transport industry and shift to electric vehicles will be a plus.
- The ability to develop short, medium and long term strategies designed to create change in a complex and at times conservative sector.
- A track record in delivering policy change, ideally in the transport sector
- Proven leadership experience and skills and an effective coaching and management style.
- A positive, can-do attitude with high work autonomy levels
- A proven record of cultivating contacts and building lasting alliances
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and with impact.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience managing operations is considered an advantage.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
The position will be primarily based in London, with the opportunity for home working, and would also involve some travel to key EU capitals, mostly Brussels. T&E will offer you a competitive salary in line with your experience and expertise; extensive benefits (including 30 days leave) and exceptional flexibility. Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of humankind’s greatest challenges.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 17th of April
What do we offer?
- Position Type: Full-time, long-term position
- Compensation: Competitive NGO salary with a full package of benefits including private health insurance and employee pension contribution
- Location: London
If you are interested in this work opportunity, you should send a CV and a letter of intention detailing your motivation to work at Transport & Environment and highlighting examples of how you meet the job specifications.
You can apply for the job at: https://jobs.prospect-us.co.uk/jobs/details/hq00180735
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted. Only applicants with an existing right to work within the EU will be considered.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s independent expert in enabling clean transport for all. Our vision is a zero emissions mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30 years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world’s largest carbon market for aviation to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations. All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.