As T&E Germany Director you will further establish T&E as one of the leading expert groups on transport related policies in Germany and the EU. Starting from the current solid base, supported by T&E’s staff, our German members, network of national offices and Brussels office, we are looking for the person who can bring T&E Germany to the next level of political influence .
Purpose of the Role
The overall aim of the role is to lead T&E’s National Office in Berlin and work alongside our members, industry and other allies to decarbonise the transport sector in Germany by accelerating the shift to zero emission transport solutions. A key part of this role will be to build stronger alliances between policy experts, politicians and progressive industries and the environmental sector. Unexpected coalitions will be needed to accelerate the change needed to meet the climate emergency. As T&E Germany Director you will need to play a leading role in identifying and establishing those alliances.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Managing the Germany office including operational, financial and HR responsibilities.
- Represent T&E in Germany at the highest political level and in the media.
- Inspire, motivate and grow the T&E German team using an inclusive leadership style.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of German public policy and the regulatory process, with a focus on regulations that accelerate the shift to zero emission mobility.
- Coordinate with our members, NGO and business partners in Germany and identify new allies that can help us reach our goals.
- Ensure that T&E Germany is a key player and recognised expert group on policies and regulations that leads to a shift to zero carbon solutions.
- Develop and deliver T&E Germany’s national strategy and long term vision on transport decarbonisation aligned with T&E’s overarching goals.
- Build and maintain good contact with policymakers, NGOs, industry, funders, media and other relevant stakeholders with focus on building strong coalitions.
- Commission and deliver impactful research (both internally and externally) tailored to the needs of – and contributing to delivering the objectives of – T&E’s advocacy work.
- Be part of T&E’s management team.
The successful candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Ten years of relevant experience in either transport or advocacy – ideal candidates have both or will convince us they can learn the other skill very quickly.
- An experienced leader, with a track record of leading successful and externally focused teams aligned towards common goals, using an effective coaching and management style.
- A proven ability to cultivate contacts and build lasting alliances leading to tangible results. Great networking skills are a must.
- A deep understanding of the German and EU political system and an expert in law and regulations with capacity for political analysis.
- A deep understanding of T&E’s focus areas, knowledge about the transport industry and shift to electric vehicles will be a plus.
- Experience in developing short, medium and long term strategies designed to create change in a complex and at times conservative sector.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and with impact.
- Fluent in written and spoken English in addition to German.
The position will be primarily based in Berlin, with the opportunity for home working, and would also involve some travel to key EU capitals, mostly Brussels. T&E will offer you a competitive salary in line with your experience and expertise and exceptional flexibility. Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of humankind’s greatest challenges.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 25th 2022
What do we offer?
- Position Type: Full-time, long-term position
- Compensation: Competitive
- Location: Berlin
If you are interested in this work opportunity, you should send a CV and – within the application form downloadable on our website – a letter of intent detailing your motivation to work at Transport & Environment and highlighting examples of how you meet the job specifications – 500 words max.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted. Only applicants with an existing right to work within the EU will be considered.
Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s independent expert in enabling clean transport for all. Our vision is a zero emissions mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30 years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world’s largest carbon market for aviation to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations. All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.