Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. We combine the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy. We are committed to the professional development of our colleagues and invest in training from your first day with the organisation. Our people work across Europe: colleagues in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid, Paris, London, and Warsaw collaborate with our 63 member and supporter groups to achieve our mission.
As part of the internship, the successful candidate will assist the aviation team in steering the EU’s legislative proposals to reduce emissions from flying, in particular proposals to better price aviation and switch to cleaner fuels. You will also assist T&E’s campaigns to manage demand and address aviation’s considerable non-CO2 climate effects.
More concretely, the candidate would assist in:
- Providing research and analysis for the team, both on request and for longer term projects
- Attending meetings with different stakeholders and policymakers
- Analysing amendments and policy proposals put forward by the different EU institutions, member states and stakeholders in order to develop arguments to steer these closer towards T&E’s position
- Monitoring and updating the team on any recent developments in the aviation industry, sustainable aviation fuels and zero emission technology
- Developing and implementing campaigns, including identifying target audiences, and proposing analytical work to support the policy goals where needed
- Supporting the well-functioning of the existing coalition with other NGOs and think tanks
- Drafting concise and informative briefings, blog posts and other communication material
- Helping to organise events (online and in person)
Ideally you have some knowledge of how EU politics works, how the main EU climate policy instruments work as well as a general interest in environmental conservation and an aptitude for developing policy recommendations that would lead to positive environmental outcomes. Good interpersonal skills are essential as is a good level of English (the working language). Candidates should be able to work autonomously and collaboratively.
We are open for candidates from different academic backgrounds. Add in your motivation letter what you think you and your background would bring to this role.
The position is full-time, with a contract running one year from end January 2023, although the dates are subject to discussion. The internship is paid according to the Belgian legal framework of “Convention d’Immersion Professionnelle” (remunerated with €1400 gross a month). T&E is an equal opportunities employer.
The deadline for applications is midnight CET on Sunday, 11 December 2022, and interviews will take place in the following two weeks, with a view to the candidate starting at the earliest possible opportunity.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the application form (downloadable below), letter of motivation and CV, all within one document and in the following order: application form, letter of motivation and CV. Please name the file as follows: Firstname_Lastname_aviation_intern. Also, please ensure the title of the job vacancy is shown in the subject line of your email.
The letter of motivation and completed application form should explain the motivation and commitment to work with Transport & Environment aims, and also highlight examples from your previous work or studies that show us that you have the skills and competencies outlined above.
Ideally this role will be based in Brussels. Currently we are working hybridly from the office and home, which would be the case for you as well.
This could change depending on guidelines from the Belgian authorities.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted. Only applicants with the existing right to work within the EU will be considered.