Location: Ideally in Brussels, Belgium (Other locations to be evaluated, but frequent travel to Brussels is required)
Salary: 58K-71K Euros based on experience.
Contract: Full time, employment contract for Belgium based candidates.
Do you like influencing EU political agenda and being involved in clean transport policy, mainly in Clean Aviation, which will be in the top of the agenda in the coming years?
Do you get energy from leading a team? Do you enjoy building a political strategy and guiding the implementation of it? Do you like to keep a helicopter view on the implementation of a project?
If yes, Transport & Environment (T&E), Europe’s leading clean transport think tank and campaign group, is looking for you to be their next Aviation Director to strengthen its leadership team and lead Europe’s most important clean aviation programme.
As T&E Aviation Director you will design and lead the execution of a winning strategy to eliminate aviation’s climate impact in Europe and beyond. You’ll be leading a growing team of seven in our Brussels and national offices and coordinate the work of our partners at national and international level.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead on building and implementing T&E’s political strategy around aviation.
- Lead a growing team of policy, campaign, and analytical staff, overseeing their professional development and guiding their work to achieve T&E’s clean aviation priorities.
- Support the building and implementation of national strategies in key national markets such as Germany, France, Spain and the UK.
- Leading on fundraising and of the aviation team.
- Further develop T&E’s advocacy strategy towards high level EU and national regulators, politicians, and media, presenting at high level meetings and events across Europe.
- Lead on T&E’s efforts to build partnerships with key aviation industry players such as airlines, manufacturers, and airports.
- Maintain and grow T&E’s media impact in key European and international media markets
- Commissioning and delivery of impactful research (including market research, emissions analysis, etc.).
The successful candidate should meet the following requirements:
- Five to ten years of relevant experience in either the clean transport business or (EU) advocacy – ideal candidates have both or will convince us they can learn the other skill very quickly.
- Proven leadership skills and an effective coaching management style.
- Good financial acumen, with experience in budget management
- Good written and oral communication skills (media, speaking, written)
- The ability to develop and execute short-, medium- and long-term strategies designed to force change in a complex, and at times, conservative industry.
- Experience in coordinating joint projects across multi-stakeholder networks.
- A proven record of cultivating contacts and building lasting alliances.
- A positive, can-do attitude with high work autonomy.
- The ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and with impact.
- A solid grasp of the EU political system and the role of member states in EU decision making.
- Interested in the topic of aviation, experience in working on it is a plus.
- Fluency in English, other European languages would be an asset.
- The position will be primarily based in Brussels but would involve travel to key EU capitals. Strong candidates based in other locations will be considered, but the post holder will require to frequently travel to Brussels.
- T&E will offer you a competitive salary in line with your experience and expertise, extensive benefits, and exceptional flexibility. T&E have offices in several EU countries, and we’re open to flexible working arrangements including part-time home working.
- Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of mankind’s greatest challenges.
T&E is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. Our vision is a zero-emissions mobility system that is affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30 years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world’s largest carbon market for aviation to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations. All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach you would bring to the role, along with your CV/resume in English BY EMAIL ONLY, to Karem Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure that documents are sent with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” and state “T&E Aviation Director” in the email subject line. Please let us know, in your covering email, where you found out about the post.
The deadline for application is Sunday May 22nd, 2022
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.