The sector, a major source of greenhouse gas pollution, has been largely shielded from climate-related regulations but this situation might shift over the coming months. As part of its Green Deal agenda, the European Union will soon review major climate policies covering aviation, such as the EU carbon market, alternative fuels and the energy taxation directive. Carbon Market Watch and Transport & Environment are delighted to invite you to join this discussion with experts and policymakers on ways to ensure that the aviation sector embarks on a more sustainable path and does its share to support a green recovery.
Welcome by Carbon Market Watch
Introduction: The aviation sector before and during the covid-19 pandemic by Stefan Gössling, Lund University
Session 1: Pricing carbon for aviation in Europe
- Presentation by Aki Kachi, NewClimate Institute
- Response by Beatriz Yordi, European Commission DG Clima and MEP Jytte Guteland (tbc), and followed by a Q&A
Session 2: Sustainable aviation fuels: the solution to aviation’s climate problem?
- Presentation by Jo Howes, E4Tech followed by a Q&A
- Response by Dr Henrik von Storch, Deutsche Post DHL Group
Session 3: Non-CO2 – time to act
- Presentation by Steve Arrowsmith, EASA followed by a Q&A
Concluding remarks by Transport & Environment