Did you know that Transport & Environment has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws? In recent years, T&E got the EU to set the world’s most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the Dieselgate scandal.
We secured a global ban on dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the world’s biggest carbon market for aviation – just to name a few. Our ability to communicate our message and make a persuasive case for change in Brussels and other European capitals has been critical to our success. We’re now looking to hire a highly motivated person to join our communications team and help us to achieve even greater change in the future.
The ideal candidate will have experience in working with EU media, both in Brussels and member states, be a persuasive writer, and have experience of developing impactful social media content. They will be an energetic and enthusiastic team-player with at least two to three years of experience working within a communications and media environment. As we publish predominantly in English, they must be able to speak and write it as well as a native speaker. Some knowledge of EU and/or transport and environment issues would be a plus. The position offers the opportunity to grow professionally and build a rewarding career at T&E.
Working with the media manager, and communications director, principal duties and responsibilities of the position will involve:
- Working with the communications and policy teams to create and deliver communications plans related to T&E’s priority areas, including developing and executing launches of key T&E research and reports.
- Managing media relations with EU affairs media outlets, newswires and correspondents based in Brussels and European countries, including:
- Pitching stories and interviews to print, broadcast and online media: drafting and pitching press releases, articles for publication, Op-Eds, letters to the editor and other media materials.
- Executing media outreach strategies to automotive, shipping, aviation, energy and environment trade publications as well as top mainstream national media.
- Managing and producing editorial content, media and social media, and T&E website content related to specific research and policy areas.
- Monitoring the media in Brussels, identifying key trends and opportunities for T&E.
- In coordination with the Digital Manager, updating relevant sections of the T&E website and creating social media content (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) based on our campaigns, key reports and infographics.
- Working with communications teams in our national offices and member organisations to ensure a coordinated approach to EU issues in key countries.
- Helping organise media briefings and events.
- Updating the T&E media contact database and improving the contact management strategy.
- Contribute to in-house and donor reporting.
Skills and competences required:
- Strong experience in EU and pan-European media outreach, preferably with a PR background, as well as a good understanding of the Brussels media market and the requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, newswire, TV, radio, and web.
- Well organised and able to deal with a wide variety of media inquiries.
- Strong social media experience in a professional context.
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritisation skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Native-level or very high proficiency in English is essential. French or German are highly desirable while other European languages are a plus. Where appropriate, language training will be made available to improve proficiency.
The position is a full-time one, based in Brussels, with the possibility of flexible working hours. T&E will offer you a competitive salary in line with your experience and expertise. We offer extensive benefits and exceptional flexibility. Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of humankind’s greatest challenges.
Deadline for applications: Friday 16th July
A more flexible working schedule can be discussed. T&E is an equal opportunities employer. To apply, please complete the application form (downloadable below) and send it together with a copy of your CV and a one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria. The email subject line should state “Communications Officer”.
The closing date for applications is Friday 16th July COB. First-round interviews are likely to be held the following week by videoconference. A second round of interviews will follow shortly after. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.